Originally built in 1900 as a stable for Arbuckle Brothers, the 200’ long thru-block building made for deep floor plates uninhabitable for residential living. In an unusual process of subtraction, the team carved a courtyard through the center of the building unlocking the potential for light and air. A curtain wall of glass on the courtyard facade allows light deep into the large and airy units. Landscaped bridges at the second floor, as well as a ground floor courtyard visually connect the two buildings and create a tranquil garden that residents can view. New insertions of minimal kitchens and baths, compliment the existing brick and heavy timber structure while re-positioning it for its new life as a residential building.